You will want to create lost pet FLYERS on 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheets of paper, making 75 to 100 to start with. These you will hand out to neighbors and also place in key locations in your area:
- Veterinary offices
- Pet Shops
- Rescue Groups
- Animal Shelters
- Post Offices
- Supermarket bulletin boards
Creating your handout flyers:
- PHOTO: Always use the best picture of your pet, preferably a color photo showing the entire pet. The larger the photo, the better. Place the photo in the center of the flyer.
- DETAILS: Be sure your flyer includes: pet’s breed, coloring, hair length, any distinctive markings, collar + color, location and date pet was last seen. Also note if your pet is timid, or afraid of strangers. Does your pet need medication?
- REWARD: If you plan to offer a reward, at top of flyer: REWARD LOST CAT
- PHONE NUMBER: always put your phone number on your flyer.
» DO NOT: post your name, address, or a specific reward amount on your flyer.
» IMPORTANT: Withhold at least one identifying mark or characteristic of your pet, in case you need it later to verify that a person has actually found your pet and is not trying to scam you.
- SHEET PROTECTORS: For the flyers that you end up posting in public so they stay fresh and uncurled. Remember to tape the top closed!
CAUTION: Do NOT place your flyers inside mailboxes as this is a federal violation!